Name:

Just one more guy figuring things out as he goes along, and figuring out he doesn't need to always figure things out.

Sunday, September 03, 2006

The First Week Done, and forty-four more to go.

Well it's been one week here in China, and I must say It's been fun. I've worked at keeping myself from becoming overwhelmed and I think I've largely been successful. The computer has been a big bone in this, as have the other teachers and the books I brought with me.
I've received the course curiculum, such as it exists, for my classes starting next week. My schedule consists of classes 8-10, 10-12 and 2-4, Wed., Thurs, and Friday. 18 Hours total, which is more than I initially expected. Means more work, but also more pay, which is good. Also means I have a four day weekend for the entire year. Good in some ways, though I imagine by Friday night of every week I am going to be exhausted. And much of Tues. will be taken up with Lesson planning I imagine. Still, all things considered it could be worse schedule. Getting up at those early hours will be the hardest part I imagine, but I've managed it so far, and I think I can keep to such a schedule.
Planning for these courses is going to be more difficult. We receive minimal guidance from our department, so while my 'Fourth Year' students have a clear guide to their classes, the 2nd years are pretty much entirely in my hands. Which I think is Ironic since the fourth years are obviously those most proficient in English and thus those for whom courses might be easiest to plan. Or perhaps I'm wrong, time will tell.
One of the other teachers here, Stephanie, has sat down and made various plans for visiting the various attractions and historical sites in and around Xi'an and I like her plan so I intent to follow it, at least to a certain extent. We thus have a big excursion planned for Early October, when the Moon-cake festival is I believe. We get a week off, so we are going to go see the Terra Cotta warriors, among a few other things. It should be fun. I decided to just relax for this weekend, reasoning I would have plenty of time after the next week or so to plan some sight-seeing in the city.
I got a French press, so I am finally drinking tea daily without picking tea-leaves out of my teeth(thanks Dave, for the suggestion). I've also got my hands on some bread, Peanut Butter and Jelly for some light morning food. I'm suffering rather horribly from travelers diarrhea, but I think that should clear up in a day or two. Have to buy some more fruit juice and remember to stay hydrated.
Well the next week should be interesting, I've gotten my teaching chops wet, and now have to dive into the thick of things. My Chinese is slowly coming along, and actual lessons should begin soon(with luck and the stars aligning correctly) so I can get even more practice in. I think at the end of classes this week I will also see if I can find a martial arts class to join. If I can find a Tai Chi class, being that it will probably be in mandarin, I can kill two birds with one stone, but improving my mandarin via immersion and getting more into shape(which given that I'm living on the fourth flour of a building with only stairs, is starting to happen already).
Anyways, for a first week it's been mostly enjoyable, save for the stomach cramps, but I truly can't wait to get out and explore the city and make the most of this experience. Talk to you all soon.

1 Comments:

Blogger Karaoke Junkie said...

I can't believe your actually counting the number of weeks left until the end of the year and the year has just started. Mind you that doesn't surprise me.

3:11 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home