Well these first two days in China have been interesting, if not quite a fast-paced as I expected. Most of it has been spent getting my room in order and getting my bearers, the latter of which still remain in the ether.
I have had my first series of communication problems. With the aid of a Phrase Book and my own limited mandarin, I have muddled though a few transactions, asking where the Sugar is in the supermarket, and getting a screw-driver from the housing manager(a very nice fellow by the way). However, my most popular phrase to date is "Wo bu Ming Bai", "I don't understand". Well small steps to a wider beginning. I think I need to become more adventurous with my speaking, but pehaps that's getting ahead of myself.
I moved into my apartment, which is fantastic. I contains, amoung other things, a beuatiful cabinet/closet, writing desk, microwave, The Computer I'm writing this on, an Air COnditioner, a Water Dispenser, a Bed, Shower, Sink, toilet, TV, etc. It's very nice and with a few additions will rapidly become home I feel.
The Campus is Gorgeous. It overlooks the city and though it has been hung in a cloud of mist thus far, it still overs a nice view. There is plentiful greenery and several almost park-like spaces, including ponds, small walk-ways and bridges, statues and Rock-Gardens and huge ensamble pieces.
My contact here, Tommy, has been very helpful in all endeavours. He took me to the local shopping centre today and that was an experience. Things are much cheaper in general here than in Canada. While appliances seemed to be only slightly cheaper(around what you would expect in a discount store) food is astronomically cheaper. My whole day's meal for today was about a buck fifty. Around 20$ purchased a Towel(I forgot to pack one, there's always something), Tea, 1 Litre of Milk(Homogenized, I'll have to figure out how to tell the differences on the packaging), Sugar, a Mug, Spoon, Bowl, Chopsticks, AA and AAA batteries, and several packages of Instant Noddles. I think I'll wait to purchase a Hot-plate, as well as a Sauce-pan and Fry-pan, until my first pay-check.
I haven't met any of the other foreign teachers yet, though I know they are there(I see their lights on) mayhaps I will introduce myself If I don't meet any of them tonight. I hope to be able to meet some-one a little more adventerous than myself who I can tag along with on a few adventures.
A few differences I have noted. There are very few street-lights. As we were driving in darkness permeated the city, broken by patches of light. Not the ubiquitous yellowish glow that typifies toronto. All the main entrances to the public buildings are covered in strips of rubber, I suspect to keep the cool in or something similar. The Highways are barren, at least compared to the 401 or 400. The whole city is littered with dedicated bike lans, and the seperators are usually hedges rather than simple metal or concrete barriers. The different vehicles on the roads are also a sight, a proliferation of 3-wheel miny-trucks, diesel vans and buses, little Japanese cars, and the occasional BMW, as well as large covered trucks and little green taxi's.
Anyways, there is still a hundred and one things to do, just for 'starting out', my mind literally swirls with the possibilities. Well that's it for now, I'm sure I'll have tonnes of other stuff to say next time.
I have had my first series of communication problems. With the aid of a Phrase Book and my own limited mandarin, I have muddled though a few transactions, asking where the Sugar is in the supermarket, and getting a screw-driver from the housing manager(a very nice fellow by the way). However, my most popular phrase to date is "Wo bu Ming Bai", "I don't understand". Well small steps to a wider beginning. I think I need to become more adventurous with my speaking, but pehaps that's getting ahead of myself.
I moved into my apartment, which is fantastic. I contains, amoung other things, a beuatiful cabinet/closet, writing desk, microwave, The Computer I'm writing this on, an Air COnditioner, a Water Dispenser, a Bed, Shower, Sink, toilet, TV, etc. It's very nice and with a few additions will rapidly become home I feel.
The Campus is Gorgeous. It overlooks the city and though it has been hung in a cloud of mist thus far, it still overs a nice view. There is plentiful greenery and several almost park-like spaces, including ponds, small walk-ways and bridges, statues and Rock-Gardens and huge ensamble pieces.
My contact here, Tommy, has been very helpful in all endeavours. He took me to the local shopping centre today and that was an experience. Things are much cheaper in general here than in Canada. While appliances seemed to be only slightly cheaper(around what you would expect in a discount store) food is astronomically cheaper. My whole day's meal for today was about a buck fifty. Around 20$ purchased a Towel(I forgot to pack one, there's always something), Tea, 1 Litre of Milk(Homogenized, I'll have to figure out how to tell the differences on the packaging), Sugar, a Mug, Spoon, Bowl, Chopsticks, AA and AAA batteries, and several packages of Instant Noddles. I think I'll wait to purchase a Hot-plate, as well as a Sauce-pan and Fry-pan, until my first pay-check.
I haven't met any of the other foreign teachers yet, though I know they are there(I see their lights on) mayhaps I will introduce myself If I don't meet any of them tonight. I hope to be able to meet some-one a little more adventerous than myself who I can tag along with on a few adventures.
A few differences I have noted. There are very few street-lights. As we were driving in darkness permeated the city, broken by patches of light. Not the ubiquitous yellowish glow that typifies toronto. All the main entrances to the public buildings are covered in strips of rubber, I suspect to keep the cool in or something similar. The Highways are barren, at least compared to the 401 or 400. The whole city is littered with dedicated bike lans, and the seperators are usually hedges rather than simple metal or concrete barriers. The different vehicles on the roads are also a sight, a proliferation of 3-wheel miny-trucks, diesel vans and buses, little Japanese cars, and the occasional BMW, as well as large covered trucks and little green taxi's.
Anyways, there is still a hundred and one things to do, just for 'starting out', my mind literally swirls with the possibilities. Well that's it for now, I'm sure I'll have tonnes of other stuff to say next time.

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home