The First Class.... The horror....The horror
So as the title says, today was my first class, and oh the horror the horror. It wasn't as bad as it could have been, but there is definitely a learning curve for me. The Students are all really shy and getting them to talk(which is my purpose here afterall) is very difficult. By the end of the 2-hour class they were warming up a bit, and a few of the braver students were asking questions. But I can tell it's going to be a chore. From what I understand most other classes they are entirely passive receptacles. 19th century British Lecture style, the notes of the professor enter the notes of the student without passing through the minds of either. I definitely need more visuals and more aids to make my points come across, and remember to speak slowly. I think I lost them more than once before I was speaking too rapidly. At the same time I don't want to distort my speech too much. Ah well, tis a learning curve and we have a meeting next week to start the actual curriculum, so hopefully Mr. Lee will be a bit of a help there(Mr. Lee, as I have mentioned is the Academic Coordinator for the English Department, he's a very nice man).
Another neat thing, one of the girls from our school has her birthday this weekend, and the University got her a birthday present. Some nice pink towels, nothing too expensive, but a nice gesture. I get the impression this is the norm over here, which is interesting.
I learned an important lesson yesterday>> Noodle soups and White Shirts do not mix. I cracked open one of my white shirts to where for the day and got is slopped all over with reddish soup broth. It cleaned up ok, but it has taught me to change into one of my darker T-Shirt before going to lunch.
It's deathly hot outside, still, and humid. It feels like I've been sweating non-stop since I came here and I think I may loose a few pounds just through water loss. I suspect it's going to rain later this day, the winds have picked up and dark clouds are rolling in from the east. Hopefully it won't be too bad tomorrow, since I have a class early in the morning(8 till 10) but it might be nice to a see a real storm swing through. I've always found rain reassuring and Cathartic(though note to self, put Umbrella on shopping list). I need to also get a small lamp I think. The Lightswitch for my overhead light is across the room, and if I can get one cheap enough a little one that clips to the bed or can sit on the nightstand so I can read would be really nice.
The other teachers are very nice and somewhat helpful. All the ones I've met are first-timers like myself, so we're all sorta in the same boat. A Little camaraderie have formed I think from our shared experience here. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like he's in the middle of the Atlantic in a canoe without a paddle. With luck within a week or two I'll have settled down into a routine and found my 'voice' as a teacher.
Well that's all for now, Zai-Jien
Another neat thing, one of the girls from our school has her birthday this weekend, and the University got her a birthday present. Some nice pink towels, nothing too expensive, but a nice gesture. I get the impression this is the norm over here, which is interesting.
I learned an important lesson yesterday>> Noodle soups and White Shirts do not mix. I cracked open one of my white shirts to where for the day and got is slopped all over with reddish soup broth. It cleaned up ok, but it has taught me to change into one of my darker T-Shirt before going to lunch.
It's deathly hot outside, still, and humid. It feels like I've been sweating non-stop since I came here and I think I may loose a few pounds just through water loss. I suspect it's going to rain later this day, the winds have picked up and dark clouds are rolling in from the east. Hopefully it won't be too bad tomorrow, since I have a class early in the morning(8 till 10) but it might be nice to a see a real storm swing through. I've always found rain reassuring and Cathartic(though note to self, put Umbrella on shopping list). I need to also get a small lamp I think. The Lightswitch for my overhead light is across the room, and if I can get one cheap enough a little one that clips to the bed or can sit on the nightstand so I can read would be really nice.
The other teachers are very nice and somewhat helpful. All the ones I've met are first-timers like myself, so we're all sorta in the same boat. A Little camaraderie have formed I think from our shared experience here. It's nice to know I'm not the only one who feels like he's in the middle of the Atlantic in a canoe without a paddle. With luck within a week or two I'll have settled down into a routine and found my 'voice' as a teacher.
Well that's all for now, Zai-Jien

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home