Name:

Just one more guy figuring things out as he goes along, and figuring out he doesn't need to always figure things out.

Friday, September 01, 2006

More Classes, more disorganization, and mystery meats.

Well today I had my 2nd and 3rd classes. The 2nd was the same group of students I had yesterday, but this time it was much easier. I had some great suggestions from my mom that I put into practice and got a 'flow' going much easier. We talked about Families(I showed them a picture of mine), Interests. I noticed that a few of them with umbrellas(it's raining... still....) didn't close them, so I brought up superstitions and we talked alot about superstitions and the differences between the West and China(for example, 7 is unlucky in China, as is the colour White, yet Snakes are considered Lucky). The students seemed to really enjoy this, and were warming up to me nicely.
The 3rd class was much easier. For starters it was smaller, only 22 students, and thus MUCH more managable. They also had a bit better english and were very conversant. The class went a little short(they went through my excercises much faster than the 47 student class... of course), but it was still very good.
I must say yesterday I was very worried after my first class. But now I am feeling quite a bit better. I've gotten over the 'first day' jitters and have realized that I can do this. Of course the 2nd Day jitters were made the worse because I woke up like 3 times last night with bad cases of Travellers dierehea. I'm sure no-one wanted to know that, believe me, hearing about it is only a tenth of actually living it. But thankfully I packed plenty of Pepto-Bismal and Immodium, so I bounced back fast.
I'm really hoping that this week will see some more access to materials, textbooks and so forth. I think here I really have to push for the school to be organized, which will be tough, but I'll see what I can do. With both my parents being teachers I have some great resources to call upon, and hopefully teaching skills are genetic.
Having covered Classes and the Disorganization that is the school organization, I now come to the cause of my aforementioned disorder, Mystery Meats. The Food here is great, but identifying things... well that's another story. I had this paddie thing, sort of like a jamacian patty, but with chillies and some kind of mystery beef(I hope it was beef). Tasted fantastic, but who knows what I was eating. Again, thank you Pepto-Bismal. I'm going to start practicing my Chinese characters, so I can start Identifying various food products and figure out what I'm eating. I've already memorized Yu(Fish) so I can avoid things with small bones(scratched my throat the other day). With luck, in a month or two I will know when I'm eating Dog(not that it will stop me :P). That's it for today, and hey, some comments to let me know your reading this would be nice(not you mom, I know you read it... talking about the rest of these bums....)

1 Comments:

Blogger Michelle said...

Mystery meat, huh? Now doesn't that sound appetizing...

1:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home