Name:

Just one more guy figuring things out as he goes along, and figuring out he doesn't need to always figure things out.

Friday, May 04, 2007

Better Late than Never

Okay so I got Lax... maybee a bit more than Lax in regards this Blog, but I am going to ATTEMPT to make it up to you by a stream of Blog posts with pictures. So I will not be telling you much about what I'm doing right now in China, but more about what I did back on my Vacation um... like two months ago(I Know, I Know.. let it drop).

Okay, so after my last post I ended up going to Chengdu proper, staying in a hostel, and having a BLAST. The Hostel I stayed at, called 'Mix's Hostel' is incredible, very homey, very hippy(Debbie, if your reading this, you'd love it, they are your people, all about the Chakra :P) Okay, now picture time, below is a picture of one of my favourite things in all of China; Street BBQ. That's right a guy with a BBQ on the street, with a big selection of meets and vegtables and so forth on the street corner at 1 AM. He'd never get past health or commerce laws in TO, but in Chengdu I was able to get fantastic BBQ chicken, Lotus Route and a host of other goodness for ridiculously cheap.


This was one of my favourite things in Chengdu, the Temple of the Green Ram. This Taoist temple sits right near the center of the City, and was constructed during the Song Dynasty, though it was severly damaged during the Cultural Revolution, and has seen massive restoration efforts in present years. In any case, this is the front of the place.


Here is one of the many temples within the complex that is the Temple of the Green Ram. Below you is one of the Main Temple Houses, housing Statues of the various Dieties(in this particular case I believe the August Generals of Heaven or the Seven Gaurdians of the Northern Constellations, it's hard to tell which). The Big tower thing front and center serves as a holder for incense, as does the larger container behind it, causing all that picturesque smoke.

Lastly is the thing to which the Temple is dedicated, the Green Ram itself, so named because it's made from Bronze. As one can tell it's nose and a spot right below it's throat seem vastly more shiny and buff than the rest. That is because touching these places is suppose to impact Good Fortune and prosperity, and hence the hundreds of hands that have moved over them have kept them buffed smooth of the corossion which gives it it's name.


Okay, that is all for now. It was hard picking pictures of this trip and the temple, I have TONNES of Great ones, but I am limiting myself to four(otherwise what will I have to show you all when I get back).

Next Post shall be the Song Mountains and the Shaolin Temple.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home