The Pain, the Agony... and some pictures of Dayan Ta
Well finally I figured out why I couldn't access blogger, if it's not one thing it' another. I will try and do at least one update a week from now on, barring any more technical problems.
This last month has been great, I'm really into a groove with my teaching, and am still having fun experiencing China. I'm getting a better handle on my chinese, which is improving bit by bit. My Chinese teacher, Amy, is really accomodating with regards to teaching us what we want to know, so it's very helpful all around. I'm able to order almost all the foods I want in Chinese now. Me and the other foreign teachers went to a restaurant where nobody spoke english and we were able to get along ok.
My Webcam finally arrived, so now all of you can see the glory of my messy room in China! As well it means I can have on-line phone-calls with people. MSN seems to work ok for this, but Skype for some reason is a superior program. It seems to handle sound better than MSN. It also enables me to make long distance phone calls for practically nothing.
I should finally be both getting an actual Camera and going to Bing Ma Yong(The Terracotta Warriors) this weekend, so, baring unusual incident, expect some pictures of that this coming week.
I've started excercising and continuing my Tai Chi, and right now my body aches so much is ridiculous. It's almost painful just to raise my tea-cup up to my mouth. Well that's what I expected, and I suppose if I keep at it this will dissipate, but right now I feel like I'm 80 years old with severe arthristis. But given that there is a gym here that I get to use for practically nothing, I figured if I don't get into shape now, It's never going to happen. I'm hoping to find a Good Tai Chi teacher before the end of the month so I can practice that more often too. May be a little difficult since I'll probably have to go into the city and that is a half hour bus-ride at least.
Well here are the pictures of me and Anderson at Dayan Ta(which is Big Wild Goose Pagoda in English). For the shortnered version, basically a very famous monk(the same who is in the story "Journey to the West" for those of you aware of such things) was terribly hungry but being a monk refused to kill anything for his meal. A Wild Goose flew in the window and dropped dead on his lap, enabling him to eat and demonstrating that humility includes the ability to recognize necessity. The Pagoda was built on that spot during the Tang Dynasty(around the 8th or 9th Century A.D.)
The Pagoda is the Big Tower in the Back. Behind me in one of the pictures is the Giant Statue of the Monk mentioned above. The third one is a picture of me and Anderson outside the 'Normal University', included just so you guys can see Anderson(it's the only picture I have of us together, since usually, he's taking the pictures).


This last month has been great, I'm really into a groove with my teaching, and am still having fun experiencing China. I'm getting a better handle on my chinese, which is improving bit by bit. My Chinese teacher, Amy, is really accomodating with regards to teaching us what we want to know, so it's very helpful all around. I'm able to order almost all the foods I want in Chinese now. Me and the other foreign teachers went to a restaurant where nobody spoke english and we were able to get along ok.
My Webcam finally arrived, so now all of you can see the glory of my messy room in China! As well it means I can have on-line phone-calls with people. MSN seems to work ok for this, but Skype for some reason is a superior program. It seems to handle sound better than MSN. It also enables me to make long distance phone calls for practically nothing.
I should finally be both getting an actual Camera and going to Bing Ma Yong(The Terracotta Warriors) this weekend, so, baring unusual incident, expect some pictures of that this coming week.
I've started excercising and continuing my Tai Chi, and right now my body aches so much is ridiculous. It's almost painful just to raise my tea-cup up to my mouth. Well that's what I expected, and I suppose if I keep at it this will dissipate, but right now I feel like I'm 80 years old with severe arthristis. But given that there is a gym here that I get to use for practically nothing, I figured if I don't get into shape now, It's never going to happen. I'm hoping to find a Good Tai Chi teacher before the end of the month so I can practice that more often too. May be a little difficult since I'll probably have to go into the city and that is a half hour bus-ride at least.
Well here are the pictures of me and Anderson at Dayan Ta(which is Big Wild Goose Pagoda in English). For the shortnered version, basically a very famous monk(the same who is in the story "Journey to the West" for those of you aware of such things) was terribly hungry but being a monk refused to kill anything for his meal. A Wild Goose flew in the window and dropped dead on his lap, enabling him to eat and demonstrating that humility includes the ability to recognize necessity. The Pagoda was built on that spot during the Tang Dynasty(around the 8th or 9th Century A.D.)
The Pagoda is the Big Tower in the Back. Behind me in one of the pictures is the Giant Statue of the Monk mentioned above. The third one is a picture of me and Anderson outside the 'Normal University', included just so you guys can see Anderson(it's the only picture I have of us together, since usually, he's taking the pictures).



0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home